Swaddling is one of the oldest tidbits of wisdom for helping babies sleep better. Most new parents hear this advice from someone they know, yet some are hesitant to try it or say they have tried it and “My baby doesn’t like it.” A baby NEEDS swaddling for at least the first 4 months of life, some longer. Recreating the womb by swaddling will help transition your baby into the world and here is why…
For 9 months your baby has been “swaddled” in a luxurious, comfortable haven where everything is perfect for her wellbeing. Especially in those last few months, your baby is packed very tightly inside the womb and by 40 weeks, she is very used to the wonderful feeling of protection around her.
Parents often think babies need and want their hands free once they are outside of the womb. However, it is quite the contrary. Since babies have been tightly packed in the womb for so long, being “free” when they are born often causes fussiness, restlessness, and a baby who doesn’t sleep very well. Give them a tight swaddle and it can make a world of difference!
To swaddle safely remember these tips:
- Do not overheat the baby.
- Check the back of the baby’s neck to determine her overall body temperature.
- Check with your pediatrician before swaddling your baby.
- Do not place baby on its side or stomach for sleeping. Only place her on the back to prevent SIDS.
- Swaddle very tightly to prevent the blanket from becoming loose and getting over the baby’s face during sleep.
We offer the perfect sized swaddle blankets for all of your swaddling needs. We recommend having 4-6 on hand for your newborn. Color options are pictured below. All colors are made from a cotton flannel blend, similar texture to light flannel pajamas you can find in stores.
Swaddle Blanket Price: $14.95 each